Monday, May 11, 2009

Another Change of Plan

Our heralded June 9 date has been scrubbed for Jim's SCT. It will be rescheduled, but it won't be happening in June. Long story, but the one MRI still has not taken place, the ophthal-mologist is on her second vacation in three weeks and won't be back until next Monday to do battle with Tufts. Other people are trying, but meanwhile, Jim has been off chemo for a month, and today the blood tests revealed he is losing ground attained by the chemo before. So he will be going back on chemo... this time with a drug called Revlamid. It is in the family of Thalidomide... the drug that caused birth defects in the 1960's. Turns out to be powerful in fighting cancer, as long as you meet certain strict criteria that makes it a pain in the butt to secure.

This is disappointing, to say the least. He felt especially bad today, even before they told him. Stomach problems and back pain requiring more pain killers than he has taken in a long time. And now this. We were so pumped up!

We have reached a point in our lives where it is unnecessary to express surprise, or register disappointment out loud. It is what it is. That's all.

Bummer.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Such disappointing news . . . .

Lynn said...

so deflated...totally. All the rest can become a joke, like the tires, and the various points or stress that turn into sillyness around here... but damn. How's that friggin' funny????

(sigh) I'll be back with my Optimism Hat on in a few. I promise.

Judy said...

Damn! There ought to be rules about how many vacations a doctor who is treating cancer patient can take in x amount of time! I mean REALLY! I'm so sorry for this turn of events. What a disappointment - I can only try to hope that the new drug will prove to be a good twist of fate.

But right now, this very second, I'm just mad! Like Lynn said, I'll work on my 'brighter side' attitude after I go hit something!