Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tap Tap Tap... IMPATIENCE calling.

It has only been 47 days since the SCT and Jim and I are both antsy to see quicker progress.  This, despite the fact that we know it will be the end of March before we know much conclusively.  Still, Jim hoped he would start feeling more normal, and the same old pains where the bones were compromised still hurt.  Nice to have healthier blood, but misery to have the same old holey bones. They will take even LONGER to heal.  Do we see a pattern here?

The past week culminated on the worst Thursday on record.  Not from a health viewpoint, but just overall.  It started with a buzzing circuit breaker box just outside Jim's door, which signaled that the heater and the electric blanket were duke-ing it out over which way the electricity would go.  Drew had been launched toward the bus in absurdly cold temperatures.  Jim had a sudden bout with the flu in the hospital garage necessitating a quick ride home and a blown-off appointment.  The washing machine on our second floor chose this particular day to create a "meditation" waterfall of sorts, into our kitchen.  Throw a bathrobe on it.  (The meditation part was when  I was "thinking" of slitting my wrists)

And just so you know, having a cancer patient provides no dispensation against illness or injury for other household members.  I've had fairly persistent neck pain and vertigo for two weeks, sufficient to send me to the ER to rule out  some draconian possibilities which were, gratefully,  nixed. And Drew was taken to a different ER two days later with asthma and breathing difficulties, which also concluded happily.   Good Lord!  Enough with the raining wild monkeys...PLEASE!  While all ended well enough, the profusion of problems all in one day makes one wonder if we are God's  only entertainment channel.

Oddly,  through it all, I noticed a strange calm.  Back in my other life before this, I was fairly high strung and emotional.  Now I am someone I scarcely know.  I don't  seem register "uh-oh" the way I did, but morph straight to a cool problem solver dealing with whatever, all the while wondering who the heck has overtaken my personality.  I don't know this woman.  And if she is here to stay, does anyone know where  Linda went?

Hmmm, maybe a convent in the South of France?  Oh, there she is now!!! (photo above...)  Imagine being a size 3,  living in a quiet place, knowing what you will wear a week from tomorrow, just the rustling of skirts, oriental carpets, meals appear and are on time,  maybe making a little jam occasionally, and the sound of Vespers.  Sounds like Club Med to this old girl.

3 comments:

Ted Rockwell said...

Linda:

My gosh, woman! The picture (entitled "Lot of sleep") just following your latest, looks like what YOU ought to be doing.

Can you get anybody in (ANYbody) just to handle the hotel logistics for a week or so? I've got somebody to do that for me, but my doctor says I can't contract her out.

Really, just a week would be worth a lot. Can I send you a Valentine present of a hired hand for a week?

Lynn said...

You went without me??????????????? Oh mumma.....

(Love, Lynn)

Laura said...

The "calm, cool and collected" comes right before the "drooling in the corner, vacantly gazing out the window", ya know... :o\

Yes, Thursday was hell!! I'm so sorry, Mom... I wish I was there during the day to help... :o(