Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Wistful Parting...

What is it about news, once you get older? Seems to me that when I was younger, news was usually good or bad, but with time, shades of gray take on a whole new meaning.  (!)

How is that for a segue into the 2010 contender in the "quintessential mixed bag" category? We have sold our house.   Yes,  a contractor has bought the house and will retain the main part of it.  As you may know, we recently confirmed we are on two lots, so he will move the house, positioning it  so the land will accommodate another house also.  This guy is known for doing high quality work in preserving some semblance of old while accommodating  buyers needs for all the modern conveniences, and for that I am grateful.  But of course, there is the tug of leaving the house I have alternately loved and damned for all these years.  Snow thunders off the slate roof, roaring down two stories to hit the ground with an earth-shaking thud. The heating bills are astronomical.  If only we could have figured out a way to occupy the upper third of the rooms where all the heat went.  Lynn remembers our old house on Valley Road, but Laura came here at 6 months old and Matt was born here.

I always thought of it as a Christmas house, and we lovingly decorated it each year.  A Nutcracker  tree stood in the living room,  a small part of the veritable forest of trees that have been lugged in and lugged out over the 134 years the house has been standing.  Fondly remembered pets are buried out back in the garden, along with some mice for a hereafter snack, and the odd GI Joe action figure.

The kids and grandchildren have their own memories tied up in this place and emotions are running high.  All of them have called this house home, and we are enjoying a festival of flashbacks, like when  5-year-old Drew waxes poetic of things he remembers from "when I was a kid."

So for the moment, we free-float.  We need to be out in mid-June.  The purging of the attic and other nooks and crannies continues.  I vow I will be more discerning with what I keep, come the next house.  We would like to remain in Needham.  One particular house has caught my eye.  But it somehow seems ...um...disloyal, like meeting a great looking woman at your wife's wake.  For now, and for a long time in the future, my heart will linger here, where everyone was always coming and going, where there was room to house all four of our parents, all five grandchildren, at one point or another, and take in the occasional random wanderer.  Where everyone in town knew your business by sitting at the stop light.

This house has served us well.  I hope we have done likewise.

P.S.  Jim is doing okay.

9 comments:

Ted Rockwell said...

Congratulations! I know it hurts now, but life will be easier for shedding a lot of baggage. I can't imagine moving out in the time you have! Literally: I just can't picture doing it. Wow! What a chore. I've been trying to thin down my inventory, and everything falls in the category of: Nobody's going to want this, but you CAN'T just throw it out!

But I'll bet you'll look back on it as taking a giant step forward.

Love and best wishes to you and the whole family.

Lynn said...

I could write for hours, a plethora or words, to try and take a stab at emphasizing the memories, and milestone which took place at 793. It would never do it justice, nor would I ever feel it was "complete". However, I do know that all of the important things from that house - home - are coming with us. Not in boxes, and not wrapped in bubble wrap (though arguably some of us ought to be). That's all that really matters. The house is the wrapping on the present. And the gift is still being given...every day...just with a new, wonderful wrapper. Those who value it the most will all help in the transition, both emotional and physical.

I love ya, Mom. More than my luggage.

Lynn said...

milestone*S* - ooops.

Katherine Aquino Barlett said...

Do my memories count?! Rollerskating in the basement? Sliding down the stairway banister? Climbing into the Laura's closet to just hang out?-How did we fit in the there?! Making my first ever Elvis Presley sandwich with Linda! I could go on and on....

Ceforbes said...

I will always remember that house as Maddies grandmas house! I loved it in there always felt like home<3

Judy said...

I'm with Lynn - there are no words, really. We had our 'last Christmas' the last two years...and yet I still can't comprehend. The family memories are endless, good and not so much, but they are ours, above all else. We remain the same family - and we will have THOSE memories no matter where any of us land. And the new owner can do what he wants - but noone can take away all times we all hold in our hearts under that roof. We will undoubtedly make MANY new, wonderful memories for our own kids to cherish along with us.

WE all enjoyed the memories together - and we should all help move on to the next 'home' for our new ones. Count me in! Love you.

Lynn said...

OF COURSE THEY DO, Katherine! I love this part! All the smiles from all the friends and fam who love the house (and us!) ;oD

Laura said...

I'm still adjusting to Katherine Aquino being old enough to drive a car!! ...oh! Katherine! You forgot to mention that it was the size of a large medicine cabinet! You had to arrange the 5 drawers below it to use them as stairs. LOL!

Ada said...

I have some great memories as well...drawing on the walls of Laura's room, all the yummy food Linda used to have at the ready, just hanging out in the kitchen and talking for hours...some great times.