Sunday, April 19, 2009

More of the Saga

I know I should update the blog more frequently, but life seems to roll ahead like 26 miles of tweed fabric. Jim's ups and downs in chart form would look like an EKG. He is doing okay, although pain control is sticky business, and everything he eats tastes terrible. Keeping him nourished is a challenge, given how little interest he has in food. We borrowed a treadmill from my sister because the doctor wants him to walk 30 minutes without interruption. Huh?! He didn't do that at 40, I'm not sure how MM will have fixed that problem. I sometimes push him to the elevator in a wheelchair. Dr. Misconnection, paging Dr. Misconnection.

The past week saw the sudden loss of the husbands of two friends. One was an older man, but in basically good health who suddenly died. The other was a man Lynn worked for a few years ago, and whose wife and kids are close. He died in a horrible car accident. At times like these life feels even more random than usual. Here is Jim, so recognizably sick, but still pressing forward, while these other men seemingly had no advance sense of their destiny at all. The wife of the first man has her mother living in her house... 90 years old and still alive. Wow. What kind of karma is this!

Meanwhile, all the regular stuff continues. I have decided to try to ramp up my catering business a notch, given that accepting an ordinary 9-5 job wouldn't work even if I could find one. It is one thing that I do love doing, although the most satisfying work is still doing receptions after funerals. Sounds like an odd calling, I know, but there is definite satisfaction in taking over all the minutiae of feeding friends and family for someone mourning a loss.
Besides the turn-around is fast, which helps me work around my other responsibilities.

Tell me, is it really tacky to bring my business cards to the Critical Care Unit of the Needham hospital?
Ya?
You think?

1 comment:

Lynn said...

It's tacky if you give them directly to patients....and probably would look even worse for the Dr's if you leave them on the window counter like an appointment card.

Doesn't make one have much faith in the practice, I guess!