Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Special Delivery!!



Christmas Tree.... check
Bags of pecans.....check
bags of stem cells..three down, six to go....check!



Jim started receiving his stem cells yesterday.  Lynn and I got to the hospital around 10, and had only a minute to wish him luck before the white coats came in with their precious cargo.  He was sedated and only very vaguely remembers our being there, but the trip was still worth it.  This morning I  spoke with him and they will resume the re-infusion and will give him the final batch this afternoon.  


After that....we wait.  Patience was one thing I always knew I needed to acquire, but the weird part is that waiting to for it only makes you impatient.  


And of course, the real world presses on, deaf to the things that have crowded our days.  Bill collectors are relentlessly precise,  gas tanks empty with impressive regularity, and, well, just forget about covering my gray hairs which have their own persistent agenda.  The tree stands bare in the living room, but at least it is upright.  One especially annoying "friend" on Facebook gloats over her comp-leted shopping and wrapping. *
My dining room table is under about a foot of paper that I think blew in from the World Trade Center.  Just random clumps begging to be filed.  But there are spritz cookies to be made.  Maybe not this year.  Making those little suckers stick to the pan and not the press pushes my patience to the tippling point even on a good day.


Last night the TV in the office blew up.  I heard a "pop" which to my musically trained ear sounded like "POP".  Maybe a fuse or tube or something, followed by something electronic making ghastly sound  inside the TV.  A truly frightening and ungodly racket.  I knew it needed to be shut off/disconnected, but thanks to Jim's training at the Rube Goldberg Academy of Wiring and Aeronotics, where was no obvious place to look for the plug.  Certain that if I touched the wrong spot, this was it for me, I carefully stepped over the boxes and files abandoned a year ago and managed to at least make the sound stop.  My sense is that this TV with only about 100 hours on it is toast.  Aah well.  Got to have something to keep the boredom at bay!!


*Note to self:  drive by and egg her self-inflating Santa.  



4 comments:

Ted Rockwell said...

Congratulations! You're finally on the path out of this nightmare. Hang in there a little longer; you're gonna make it!

We're all with you. It WILL be a merry Christmas.

~Lynn said...

Christmas with the Crazies.....
Don't you think we should take a walk down Memory Lane with a nod toward the fact that - unfortunately - this is not a strikingly UNUSUAL Christmas for us....

Shall we recount the holidays since 1970? Year by year even? Prior? Unreal....you're right. It's a terrible idea. We'll just focus on the positive of this year?

Laura said...

LET'S! Now that is all behind us, it's really quiet commical! I love our version of the "Christmas Story"!

How about making it the focus of your NEXT blog entry!! Whoo!!Hooo!!

I admit, I had the best hopes for Dad on the 17th, but did a little extra praying and breath holding! We have a tendency to begin or end life on the 17th... it's really pretty eerie! Now that it's behind us... oh, nevermind. We're knockin' on wood REGARDLESS!

Unknown said...

Hi Lynda
Vera and Jerry Cuttler send our best wishes and prayers for Jim's recovery to good health and a happy 2010.
Jerry