Thursday, November 20, 2008

Usually off topic


Even in the darkest of situations... no, make that always in the darkest of situations,  there is something wondrous, or unexpected or quite funny.  It does help to have a warped world-view as I do.   So I will share with you, dear reader, a bit of the unusual side of our predicament.

As we navigate this constantly changing highway,  there are a couple of things.  One is that "the road" metaphor is weak because no one in their right mind would get on a highway not knowing where it is going or how long it will take to reach the destination.  Furthermore, you only have to be here a few weeks before you realize that some divine Wag made the exit ramps dump you right back on the highway.  The minute you think you are getting somewhere... ha HA!  Back you are. 

Since clearly, the Lord has a sense of humor,in His wisdom He decided we needed comic relief in the form of squirrels in our walls.  I really shouldn't blame God, since I apparently have a sign on my back that reads, "Give me your Homeless, your poor huddled nut-jobs." which could be easily misinterpreted by a squirrel.

Predictably, we didn't get any old rodent, but the Road Runner of squirrels.  In his pea-sized brain, he thinks, "A glass of warm milk would go nicely," at which he zips off like a Bullet Train leaving Kyoto, vaulting through the skeleton of the house like Secretariat on Derby day.  Thats how I know he isn't in the actual attic. Only a poltergeist could traverse my loaded attic at that speed without catastrophic injury.

And I lie a floor below him, my eyes wide and white in the inky darkness, plotting my revenge.


No comments: